Description of School
The Loxford School of Science and Technology Primary Provision project is to provide accommodation for school pupils aged 3 to 11, which is required to supplement increasing additional demand for primary pupil places in the London Borough of Redbridge. The project will comprise of the design, construction (with some landscaping works) and fitting out of the 7 year, 4 form entry plus nursery accommodation for 840 school age pupils, 39 nursery pupils and 70 – 80 teaching staff.
The 10 form entry Secondary School located within the same site, and the new primary provision accommodation will form an age 3-18 ‘All-Through School’ providing shared amenity use of facilities.
- A 4 Form Entry, 3 storey school and nursery primary provision.
- The BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) rating for the building is targeting to achieve ‘Very Good’ circa 68%.
- The key innovative and low impact design features of the building - The building has been designed to maximise natural daylight, ventilation and uses photo-voltaic (PV’s) located on the roof to reduce the carbon emissions, also the use of Ground Source Heat pumps.
- The basic Building Cost is £980/m²
- The services Costs is £420/m²
- The external Works cost is £165 /m²
- The gross floor area is 4635 m2
- The total area of site is 7 hectares
- Function areas - Teaching : 2130m2, Admin/staff : 245m2, WC’s: 263m2
- The area of circulation is 990 m2
- The area of storage is 248 m2
- The percentage area of buildings to be used by community is 19%
- The predicted electricity consumption is 44.7 kWh/m2 /year
- The predicted fossil fuel consumption is 4.07 kWh/m2 /year
- The predicted renewable energy generation is 3.37 kWh/m2 /year
- The predicted water use is 3.51m3/person/year
- The steps taken during the construction process to reduce environmental impacts include concrete frame construction , ground water attenuation, contamination surveys, UXO survey.
- Social or economically sustainable measures achieved/piloted – whole life costing analysis, feed-in tariff from photo voltaic array, zoned areas in building from community use outside school hours.
- A site Waste Management scheme is in place for the construction to recycle and reuse construction and demolition waste.