At Loxford School (Primary Phase) we promote the idea of being a listening school where children’s views are valued. Each class from Year 2 upwards in the primary Phase elects two representatives to form the School Council, which meets twice each half term. Regular circle times and class discussions provide opportunities for the children to raise concerns and put forward suggestions as to how certain aspects of school life can be managed or improved. Additionally, the children are able to submit suggestions via a class School Council ‘post box’ which is checked prior to each meeting.
We want our School Council to give us opportunities to:
• Be involved in making the decisions to improve school life for everyone.
• Work more closely with staff in developing a caring school community.
• Be able to voice the opinions of people in our class.
Important School Council Information
• The School Council will be made up of 2 representatives per class in Years 2 to 6.
• Their fellow class members will have elected these representatives.
• The School Council will meet twice in each half term.
• The meetings will be held in the staffroom.
• Mr Hook will be the link teacher.
• The link teacher will support the elected Secretary in taking the minutes of the Council meetings. These will be distributed to each class to make sure everyone knows about the activities of the Council. A copy of the minutes will also be displayed on our School Council display board.
Responsibilities of Pupil Councillors
• Class representatives will report back to their class after every school council meeting.
• Class representatives will take issues brought up by their class to the School Council. They will put across the views of their class, not their own opinions.
• If a councillor wants to talk at a meeting they must put up their hand.
• School Councillors will ensure they read the Council notice board regularly.
Responsibilities of Teachers
• Teachers will make sure that all classes have a School Council circle time. This is when minutes from the last meeting are shared and new matters discussed by the class.
School Council Competition
The school council ran a competition for a poster design for the new school councils’ suggestion box. Congratulations to the winner and the two runners up.